Sunday, August 07, 2011

Bountiful, Part II

Last year I wrote about my rather disappointing home-garden haul.

This year, much improved. I didn't plant any spuds but we again did the yellow squash thing, more tomatoes (gotta do tomaters!), and a few other odds and ends provided by one of our acquaintance's mother.

And again I did Big Jim green chile.

Last year's crop (I use the term very loosely) yielded only a few peppers and none of them were of significant size. I don't know what's different about this year. I got the Big Jim from the same place as before, planted it in the same area as in 2010.



What a difference a year makes! I've already harvested 9 peppers from this baby and they are comparable to what you'd procure from Hatch, New Mexico. I roasted them yesterday under the broiler and they have a nice flavor, not mild like the Anaheim but not scream-in-pain, either.

Made salsa yesterday. Made more today.

Totally garden-grown was the first batch (save for the store-bought cilantro). Tomatoes, onion, and green chiles fresh from the backyard. Finally fulfilled one of my dreams from last year.

_______________________________

August is here, and little Geoana seems ready to return to school. Around these parts there's just something about the month of August. Fair is over, the kids just seem sparse. Like they've already succumbed to the reality that school time is almost here. (Doesn't bother my kid, she's social and seems to enjoy school just fine.) The public pool gets less use, even though they keep the same hours as always. The getaway fun vacations are all over, the farm kids have plenty to do as it is.

Earlier I blogged about little Geoana's (prize-winning) baking. I neglected to mention that in the midst of all the heavy kitchen use our dishwasher decided to take a hiatus. (I think the motor died since water goes in and water pumps out, but nothing else happens.) And try waiting for you local appliance repairman to come over and at least do a diagnosis, since he's keeping busy with air conditioner repairs courtesy of our recent heat wave.

_______________________________

Few things are more surreal then having your wife tell you she sees our old house in Chandler up on the market again. (Via Zillow) Click through the realtor's photos and say to yourself: "I had that put in, I built that, I painted that, I paid for that to be done."

Weird.

No comments: