Thursday, February 10, 2011

Taking The Plunge

For those of you wondering (all zero of you!), yes I ordered my Verizon iPhone last night.

Decided to go with the 32 gig model, figured it's worth the extra hundred bucks.

I figure to get it early the week of February 20 (these things don't even ship until Feb. 18). Then I'll enter the brave new world of apps and mobile web. Bet you anything after I've had that gadget a few months I will wonder how I ever got along without it.

For those of you who don't know me, I enjoy my desktop and laptop Macs and I use a laptop PC every day at work. I've got a good iTunes library going and use not one, but two, iPod Nanos. (A first generation and a fifth.) Yet despite my affection for things digital I don't own an iPhone (yet) or an iPad. I figure if I traveled greatly for my work I would probably have both but my needs are met with what I have currently.

So why the iPhone?

First, my current cell phone battery is already showing signs of slowdown. Second, I've found myself sometimes desiring a phone that has just a few more features (such as a music player, still and video camera, and the ability to go online and do more than just pull my e-mail. The iPhone fits all of these needs and a whole lot more.

Plus I already fulfilled the two-year contract for my current cell phone, so I won't lose anything in the transition. So why not? What is there to lose?

Nothing. And there's a whole lot to gain.

I did buy the data plan for my new 'phone. Geogal and I will enjoy being able to get online even if there is no available wi-fi. We won't be going back to the days of pulling into a hotel's parking lot to glom onto their free wi-fi (we actually did this once, in the Kansas City area).

And besides, it really won't set me back much. I pulled out a Macworld magazine from September 2007, with the cover story titled "Hello, iPhone." Back in those olden days $499 would get you a 4 gig model, with 8 gigs costing $599.

Shoot, I feel like I'm getting a deal!

No comments: