Friday, February 08, 2008

Clear direction

Every now and then I receive a clear and direct revelation.

For this past week, that piece of information is as follows: “Geoguy, you will never have a career in I.T.”

I know my way around computers well enough, but troubleshooting and repairing the devices demands more patience and fortitude than I possess.

For some reason, about a week and a half ago my Macbook started having problems with the wireless Internet connection. No problem with using an Ethernet cable to surf the Net, but the wireless had me baffled. Then I go to several discussion boards and realize the problem is likely due to an operating system update which seems to confuse the Airport card.

The next issue? There’s apparently no fix for this, yet. (Are you listening, Apple engineers???)

Turns out I’m not the only one who peruses these discussion boards. Today’s Lileks entry reveals he also is a lurker.

Anyhoo, I’m just about on my last nerve trying to figure out a fix that will be acceptable to the Geohouse. Keeping the router open (no password protection) isn’t palatable right now. But securing it with WPA locks out the Macbook.

Sigh.

I guess it’s goodbye to using the Macbook at the kitchen table for a while. (Are you reading this, Apple engineers???)

Let’s hope they’re reading and heeding this. After all the company is touting its latest product’s wireless Internet ability to perform nearly all tasks related to communication.

Imagine if this device has the same hardware/software problem. Yikes!

No comments: