Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Final Chapter of This "Trek," And An End-of-Trip Surprise

Saturday morning, I wake up after a peaceful night’s sleep.  Compared to 24 hours ago I’m in a great state of mind.  It’s my last day on the road, I’m well-rested and today’s route is fairly easy.  “Fairly easy” to me means 4-lane highway all the way with no significant grades once I make the climb out of the Missouri River valley heading northeast out of Sioux City.  


Brew my coffee, cook the breakfast and have a shower.  Once I’m dressed I commence with breaking camp.  As this campground has full hookups I don’t even need to make a stop at the dump station on my way out.  Once the draining, unhooking and securing are done, it’s get behind the wheel of my trusty Suburban and within a few moments I’m maneuvering my rig into the Cenex gas station, the same place where I picked up my fried chicken the night before.  Top off the tank, and away I go. 


Homestretch!!


First leg is to again head north on Interstate 29.  Once I’m on the outskirts of Sioux City I pay attention to ensure I’m in the correct lane to exit off the interstate and onto U.S. 75.  


Then begins the climb.  I’ve done this route before but never with pulling a camper that weighs a few thousand pounds.  Yet if I have any concerns or misgivings, I just remember my trek from yesterday and tell myself this is nice wide highway with plenty of room for happenstance or error.  And in only a few minutes I’m on level ground again.  Within 15 minutes I’m buzzing through the town of Hinton and once through that burg I won’t have a traffic light or stop sign again until I hit Windom, Minnesota.  


The travel gods are favoring me today as I notice the wind is present yet at my back, most ideal when one is pulling a trailer.  I’m able to go at the preferred speed of 65 and watch the towns pass by in order:  Le Mars, Sheldon, Sibley.  I pass Hawkeye Point (highest point in Iowa!) and less than five minutes after that I cross the state line into Minnesota.  


Just before Worthington I pull off into the Minnesota Welcome Center/Rest Area.  That morning coffee has made its rounds and my bladder thanks me for the relief.  I also make some small talk with a couple of other travelers then it’s back behind the wheel, with the next stop being home.  


Actually, the RV storage lot, but close enough. 


Nothing noteworthy for the remainder of the drive.  Slow down to navigate the traffic circles on the edge of Worthington then resume speed.  Windom, St. James, Madelia and Mankato all come and go and my adrenaline is really kicking in for the final 10 miles.  


In short order I’m at the storage lot.  I text Geogal I’m here and also meet the lot owner/manager.  We’ve spoken over phone but this was the first face-to-face meeting.  He says I can just go ahead and unhitch at the curb and he will use his Bobcat to move my rig to a designated space.  


Fine by me!


Geogal and Geoana arrive and help me unload from the camper.  I tell them, and the lot owner, about not having the electric jack work when I hitched up in Kansas, and Geogal says, “Yes, the switch is right here,” and puts her finger on it.  


And the electric jack hums with life!  


Notwithstanding I could have used that two days prior, I chalk it up to fate.  A few days later I’m describing this very scene to a coworker and he postulates that perhaps with sitting for so long the jack may have seized up just a bit and all the vibration from the driving loosened the gears just enough.  


No matter.  I’m glad to be home and to not have to worry about taking the rig in for service.  


So, despite one rough afternoon in Kansas, overall I can’t complain about much else this trip.  This was the first time I’ve used the Suburban to pull my camper anywhere other than to Tuttle Creek State Park (near Manhattan, only about a 15-minute drive and not going any faster than 45-50).  Nice to get an idea what this combo can (and cannot) do on the open highway.  

No comments: