Sunday, June 30, 2019

Fasting

I don't know the current MLB standings.  

I don't know which golfer won which recent tournament.  Nor do I have awareness of the happenings on the racetrack, be it motorsports or horses.  

And I sure don't care about the NFL or NBA drafts.  

Once the men's NCAA basketball tournament was finished I decided I would take a break from all sports media.  

Why?

First, on my morning commute (which is the prime time I listen to sports talk, especially college sports on SiriusXM 84) I decided to go all-music.  Not exactly a scientific experiment but I wondered if certain types of music consumed during the drive, such as the classical offerings on Symphony Hall, would result in a better mood for me once at the workplace.  

Problem is, my work is pleasant overall and I don't have any significant conflicts or dreads so I'm not sure if choosing music over sports talk has any overall positive effect on my disposition.  

But it doesn't hurt.  

Second, for me once the college hoops were over I knew I was headed into dullsville as far as the sports universe goes.  While I can enjoy a major league baseball game I'm not fanatical about it.  And I have long believed baseball is best enjoyed at the ballpark.  (Which reminds me--look into Kansas City Royals tickets.  Shouldn't cost much based on what others are saying about that team's performance this year.)  

Third, I'm damned sick of politics poking its way into sports.  'Nuff said.  

I'll end my sports media fast around the end of July, when the NFL teams are heading into training camp and college football news will again be relevant and timely.  But for now I sure don't care which baseball team is peaking and which pro teams are making a killing in free agency.  

With Independence Day holiday coming up there's just more things that are better worthy of my attention.  Grilling meat and veggies, enjoying the warm weather, and spending time with my child before we "kick her out of the nest" just to name a few.  

Coming attractions for this little space o' the 'Net?  My thoughts on terrestrial radio and an interesting article that speaks loudly about the present (and future) of small-town stations.  

No comments: