Sunday, December 30, 2018

Texas Thanksgiving Trip!! Days Four, Five & Six

When we last left the Geofamily...

It's now Thanksgiving Eve and nothing special on the docket for today.  The three of us do spend some time around Seguin, including a visit to the new public library building.  

Then Wednesday gives way to Thursday.  No turkey in this house, however.  

My folks were more than willing to break with tradition and serve BBQ brisket instead of a stuffed bird.  Fine with me!  I recall many years ago, going to a steakhouse in downtown Tempe, AZ expecting to munch on turkey and dressing only to learn that we could indeed order off their regular menu as well!  I returned home having stuffed myself on prime rib.  

We also enjoyed a visit from Geosister (the elder) and her family.  Good conversation, BBQ and beer.  What more could a guy want?  

Food scorecard:

BBQ
Tex-Mex
Chicken-fried steak

Does that mean it's time to head home?  

Actually yes.  I had long planned/intended to head back to Kansas on Black Friday.  The philosophy being that having both Saturday and Sunday to recover from the road trip would be optimal.  Plus there appeared to be a winter storm headed our direction on Sunday and we'd rather not chance any delays on the road.  

So-- family visit done, college visits done, and Texas cuisine consumed, we loaded up the Suburban and left Seguin at 6:55 a.m.  We know the way well, just get on Texas 130 and drive north until we merge with I-35, then it's through Fort Worth, Oklahoma City and finally Wichita before using Interstates 135 and 70 to get us back to Manhattan.  

Since we ate so much the day before none of us felt the need to stop for breakfast until reaching Waco.  Cracker Barrel made for a satisfying late breakfast/early lunch stop.  I got back behind the wheel until our next gas-and-bladder break, in Denton.  I also grabbed my last Texas gustatory treat, a bottle of Big Red.  Then it's into Oklahoma.  

Geogal took over the driving from Denton onward.  She surprised me by leaving the satellite radio right where it was, on the Texas-KU football game.  (I'll spare all of my readers a rant about how this matchup the day after Thanksgiving is all sorts of wrong.  This day is supposed to be Texas versus Texas A&M!  Grumble, grumble, grumble....)  

We decide to stop in Wichita and have the late meal at Applebee's.  Even though it's only a little after 5 the sun already said goodbye in the west and it feels later than it is.  

Meal was good and after topping off the tank it's time for the homestretch.  Podcasts and regular conversation help me stay focused (I again resumed the driving duties).  Soon we're back to familiar territory and then comes the dyad of Junction City and Manhattan.  

Pulled into the driveway at 8:35 p.m.  I also kept track of the miles.  765 odometer ticks since leaving Seguin.  

I can still do this.  I just don't want to do it often. 

I also came to this conclusion:  You will take Geoguy out of Texas but you'll never take the Texas out of him.

No comments: