Sunday, July 01, 2018

Closer To Home

This entry also is devoted to television broadcasting changes/updates but this time I’ll focus on my home DMA (Topeka).  

Since installing my antenna there’s been little change in the channel lineup or offerings.  49.4, which used to be a dedicated weather channel is now Justice (which I don’t ever watch).  KSNT added a 27.4 subchannel for Bounce, of which I watch very little.  

However a few weeks ago I noticed that WIBW’s UHF fill-in channel was no longer on the air.  Not surprising, since it was on RF channel 44 which will soon be out-of-core (see the previous post about the repack).  A check of the FCC database shows WIBW applied for a digital replacement translator on channel 33.  For kicks and giggles I also went to WIBW’s website to see if they had any information about a timeline.  To my surprise they had quite a bit of information from the station engineers and as it turns out they are not just moving the translator channel, they’re upgrading the main signal’s antenna and installing a new transmitter to match that antenna.    

I learned a few things.  First, antennas back in the day were apparently very well-built, as I’m amazed anything continues to function well after being exposed to the elements for 55 years.  (And Kansas weather being what it is, this antenna has survived numerous brutal cold spells/griddle hot temps/wind speeds that would even challenge the best turbines.)  Second, I applaud WIBW for being proactive with ATSC 3.0 technology. Third, the differences between VHF and UHF transmitter antennas might explain why Nebraska has more than an average amount of low-VHF full-power stations.  (More on that in my next post.)  

I’ll leave it to WIBW’s engineers to give the details.  And for those who are interested, they also have some really awesome photos of the antenna replacement (still in progress, by the way).  


Some of you who have only a passing interest in this stuff might be wondering: What is ATSC 3.0 anyway?  This page explains it fairly well.  As a hobbyist I’m looking forward to being able to again watch over-the-air TV while in a moving vehicle.  Haven’t been able to do that since the analog shutoff back in 2009.  ðŸ˜€ðŸ˜€ðŸ˜€

No comments: