Saturday, March 24, 2018

Springing Into Spring

Spring is finally here.  And spring fever is hitting big time.  

I’m sure it started a few Mondays ago.  I was driving to work and witnessed a beautiful sunrise over the Flint Hills.  The temperatures are warming and we’re actually getting some blue skies.  

It rained a few days ago which did a great job of washing the salt and sand (left over from Old Man Winter) off the streets and highways.  Plus I began noticing some green blades of grass on the lawn, mixed amongst the yellow-tan leftovers from last year.  At first I thought it was wishful thinking but when said grass was encroaching onto the walkways I had neatly trimmed back in late October I knew the change of seasons was in process.  

As if all the aforementioned wasn’t sufficient proof, we also had our first housefly of the year.  

I’ve even taken my neighborhood constitutional in t-short and shorts, something I couldn’t have done just a fortnight ago.  

Yes, I’m well aware that even though spring is here in the literal sense (as the vernal equinox occurred) we are still in for some chilly days.  However no one can argue that more light and additional warmth can elevate one’s mood and instill hope that the days of outdoor grilling, sunscreen, bug repellent and air conditioning are almost upon us.  

____________________________

Earlier this month I made another trek to Norton to attend to the house.  There wasn’t any significant occasion or occurrence, rather I just wanted to check it over myself.  And add salt to the water softener system.  And hit some floors and stairs with the Shop-Vac.  And have friendly visits with a former coworker and my across-the-street neighbor.  

I took the familiar and most direct route.  Highway 24 through Clay Center, Beloit, Cawker City and Downs before making a right turn onto U.S. 281, passing through the large urban areas of Portis and Harlan before turning west on Highway 9.  Pass by Gaylord, Cedar and Kirwin and keep a hopeful and watchful eye out for Glade.  Turn right onto U.S. 183 and in five miles you’re in Phillipsburg.  At U.S. 36 you head west for another 30 minutes or so and see landmarks that at one time gave you the positive “we’re almost home, finally” emotional rush but now seem oddly familiar yet now somewhat foreign.  

The preceding paragraph makes it sound likety-split and even looking at a map it doesn’t appear to be a long distance.  However the drive takes at least three and a half hours, not counting stops for coffee, snacks or urine release.  Unlike other journeys I did this one on my own.  To be sure the experience wasn’t as negative as it sounds.  My family knows I cherish my alone time and I do enjoy driving.  In addition I had a new (to me) set of wheels.  

In January we decided to trade in the Ram 2500 (we called it “Wondertruck”) and took ownership of a 2008 Suburban with plenty of bells and whistles.  Despite its age this appears to be a well cared-for vehicle and the Carfax report looked good.  So for my drive I had the luxury of not only a truck that loves to own the road but also came with a Bose sound system, leather seats (heated!!), moon roof, backup camera, DVD player and a way-smooth ride.  After I stopped at Dunkin Donuts in Manhattan and got myself coffee and a couple of fried breakfast treats I was rarin’ to go.  I could spend another blog entry on just why a Suburban is so appealing but this piece explains it well.  Even though it was written over 30 years ago the author’s reasons are much the same as mine except I never was raised in a small-car family.  Did I mention I learned to drive in a 1976 Suburban?  

Back to the main storyline.  I took care of the house items in no time flat.  Everything looked good and my conversations with both my colleague and my neighbor were delightful and insightful.  After a lunch at Sonic I went the reverse of my morning trek and was back at the new (to us) house well before sundown.  


Here’s hoping my next road trip involves more fun/leisure and less work.  

No comments: