Monday, April 20, 2015

Telling on myself...

Sometimes the material for this blog can come from the most unlikely, and most unsuspecting places.  

For example, I was looking for a particular key for at least three weeks.  

It's the key to the local fitness center.  Here in our small town U.S.A. the city runs the fitness center and to rent a key costs only $5 a year.  While the equipment isn't exactly the best or newest (no surprise for that price) it still is a useful alternative particularly when the temp outside is near zero.  

For some time I kept the fitness center key on the kitchen counter, next to the TV and phone.  Until  one day when I couldn't find it.  Then I looked.  And looked.  And kept on looking.  

This past Saturday I tried experimenting with keys I found on a couple of key rings.  No go.  Or rather, no open.  However the lack of a key didn't keep me from exercise for the past few days as I could still go the hours the center was staffed.  

But I was determined to find our key.  

Then....

Early Saturday evening, after working out, I see my own keys on the table.  The top key glinted at me and I had to pause.  

There it was.  On my own keychain the whole time.  

I must have put it on there some weeks ago when I decided that the other household members weren't likely to go if I wasn't going.  (I tried to write that last sentence without sounding like I'm loaded with hubris but the bottom line, it's true.)  

Brings to mind an old saying:  Sometimes the answer to a problem is right in front of your face.  

Or right on your keychain alongside your house and truck keys.  

But despite the wisdom I still couldn't help feeling a bit foolish.  What is happening to my memory?

No comments: