Monday, July 25, 2011

Skin of the pig

I'm not one who lives and dies by the NFL but it is heartening to see the lockout end. Late July always signals the gridiron guys, at every level, to put on the pads and start the drills.

I still enjoy college football just a smidge more than the Not For Long league but I really don't want an autumn without both. Watching high school ball here is true icing on the cake. I'm ready for cool Friday nights cheering on the BlueJays (I think I just gave away my location) followed by flipping the remote on Saturday (always a chance to catch a good matchup).

___________________________

Took little Geoana to a youth trap shoot yesterday. Free for the participants, simply show up and be 18 or under. We brought a .410 one of my coworkers let me borrow but the little one also took the chance to shoot 25 rounds with a Remington 1100 20-gauge semiautomatic, property of the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks.

She did well, broke some blue rock here and there. She still prefers the .410 which I don't mind. If she can be a crack shot with that firearm, bringing down birds with a youth 20-gauge should be child's play (pun intended).

She's like her dad in another respect. Following a morning where she fired off 50 rounds (25 from the .410, then another 25 from the previously-mentioned 20-gauge), her right shoulder was a bit sore. I believe both of us need to make a trip to Cabela's and buy a couple of recoil pads. (My last blue-rock venture left me with a nice big bruise on the right shoulder. Didn't help my tendinitis, either.)

No comments: