Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Mom Would Be So Proud

It's been raining a lot here lately. I alluded to this in my previous post.

Got Geogal a rain gauge last Saturday. She has coworkers who live out in the country (way out, in some cases). They always like to compare what their rain gauges show after the latest cloudburst.

She came home for lunch today and said the gauge had "ten one-hundredth of an inch" in it.

I replied: "You mean......one-tenth of an inch?"

"Yes," was the answer. "But you have to understand that phrasing I just used is how farmers around here talk."

I explained that in elementary school I was always being marked down on my math homework for not reducing my fractions far enough. Mom even tried to beat it into my head: "Remember to reduce, reduce, reduce!"

Too bad Mom lives several hundred miles away. She'd be happy I remembered the childhood lesson.

No comments: