Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Saturday to cheer and to cry

Wow!

Yes, I parked myself in front of the TV for the better part of yesterday afternoon and evening, watching college students break each others' bodies. (That's Geohouse slang for football, except in the case of the NFL, where it then becomes "Grown men breaking each others' bodies.")

Sure, some contests were boring (such as UCLA-USC). But thanks to having numerous choices due to DirecTV, I watched the Civil War (Oregon-Oregon State)--2 overtimes, then Arizona-Arizona State (still came down to anyone's game in the closing minutes). I just couldn't stay up to watch Hawaii come back and beat Washington.

Now, let's see what happens at 6 p.m. God's time, when the BCS bowl lineups are announced. I'm glad I am not one of the decision-makers in that process. Given this season, I wonder if the "experts" will just toss darts to make the selections.

Whatever. One of the joys of having graduated from a perennially-losing-football-team school is not having to sweat buckets over polls or bowls. I don't really have a favorite team from among the BCS conferences, save perhaps Texas.

But some (metaphorical) tears yesterday. I realize yesterday was truly the last college football Saturday of the season. There's just something about college football that the pros and the other collegiate sports can't offer. Tailgate parties, marching bands, crisp fall temps (everywhere but here in AZ), fresh air, anticipation over the holiday season. And while I have no loyalty whatsoever to The Ohio State University, who else can come close to performing something such as "Script Ohio?"

So, now I can watch the several episodes of "Torchwood" that are on the DVR. And I'm making a pot of elk chile. Sundays do not have to be miserable if one chooses to be constructive.

No comments: