Monday, December 12, 2005

And so it begins, my thoughts on satellite radio

Not that I meant to put it off for this long, it's just that the holiday season creates other demands of one's time. (Sounds like a good excuse, I'll go with it.)

However my timing now seems apropos given the media coverage of Howard Stern and his transition from Infinity Broadcasting (terrestrial) to Sirius (satellite). I am not a Stern fan nor am I enamored with any "shock jocks." Yet Stern's move, I believe, is indicative of something major. The real beginning of the emergence of satellite radio as an accepted medium. Satellite radio gaining mass appeal. Satellite radio being something the average Joe and Judy can afford and actually use. Just look in any news publication and you will see articles about XM and Sirius systems being one of the "hot" electronic gift items this Christmas season. No matter that neither services has yet turned a profit, satellite radio is here to stay.

Can you flash back to 1979-1980? Something called cable TV was starting to be available in major cities, not just rural, isolated towns. No doubt there were people back then who thought: "Why would anyone pay for television when they can get it for free?"

Cable TV caught on like few expected. I predict radio is now in the same metamorphosis.

Are you unfamiliar with satellite radio? Crutchfield has a good primer here.

In part 2, I will outline current trends that support my belief about the future of satellite radio.

No comments: