Monday, September 05, 2005

As Summer Draws To A Close

Go ahead, be one of the many who will roll their eyes and wonder why I give my attention to these “trivial” matters. I am willing to admit it, particularly now.

I enjoy sports.

Not all of them, mind you. I have no use for hockey (probably the result of being raised in Texas in the 1970's, when football really ruled). The NBA holds no interest for me, and I wasn’t interested in college basketball until I was actually in college and our team began a rise to prominence (Go Aggies!).

But baseball had my devotion from an early age and I played in little league for three years. I later learned the game of football and was a fan of the NFL contests in my later teens. Why am I mentioning all of this now?

The answer to why I am interested in certain sports and why I anticipate the start of the NCAA and NFL gridiron seasons is twofold. First, there is the anticipation that summer is coming to an end. While people in many parts of the country and many school-age youngsters bemoan the slow termination of this season, I enjoy it. It means the end of Arizona summer heat is in sight. I always look forward to the summer temps when we’re in March and April, but by the end of August I have had enough. Seeing the football games on Saturday and Sunday are my Pavlov bell for the beginning of autumn. Second, with the effects of Katrina dominating the news over the past 7 days, sports does provide a necessary and needed relief. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying that the tragedy in three southern states is less important than college students breaking each others’ bodies on a 100-yard area of turf. But in our day of numerous 24-hour news channels, continuous finger-pointing, and doomsaying, sports can give many people a temporary respite from the evils of this world. That’s fine, as long as the respite is indeed temporary. Everyone needs a breather occasionally.

Don’t call me callous or heartless. My heart breaks every time I see video out of any of the affected areas. I gave to relief effort yesterday, and I will be giving again today.

Remember, we all have to take care of ourselves, too.

No comments: